Breakfast in Bed Threads: Vegan Mushroom Toast with Fresh Herbs
If, like jokes about its relationship with a downpayment, smashed avo on toast is feeling a little tired to you, consider this for a 2018 brunch update. Proving, once again, that vegan feeds are filling and overflowing with flavour, this simple recipe takes mushrooms on toast to a new level.
Prep time: 15 mins
- 3 Royal oyster mushroom (or flat mushrooms if you can’t find large oysters)
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sage leaves
- 4 slices sourdough rye
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- What you will need: Griddle plan/ BBQ (if you do not have either, use fry pan)
Method1. Slice the mushrooms longways and set aside. Drizzle 1 table spoon of olive oil over them.
2. Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil onto a griddle pan or a normal frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the garlic for 30 seconds.
3. Add the mushrooms, chopped thyme, sage and rosemary. (Keep a little of the herbs aside for garnish.)
4. Cook over a high heat, stirring, for 4-5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, toast the sourdough.
6. Add salt and pepper then serve mushrooms on the toast.
7. Sprinkle with leftover herbs... and enjoy!
Prefer something with eggs? Here’s how to make Green Shakshuka with Poached Eggs, Chilli Butter and Spiced Yoghurt; while the last weeks’ worth of recipes were sweet, too: Maple French Toast Pudding, and Poached Pears with Homemade Granola and Maple Yogurt.